Chili Spice Steak Tacos
Makes 8 Tacos
For the steak and marinade:
- 1 medium jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Spice Society Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup Spice Society Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spice Society Chili Powder
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut crosswise into 5–6-inch segments
For the tacos:
- 8 (8-inch) corn tortillas
- tomatillo salsa (for serving)
- 1/2 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup sour cream, thinned with a tablespoon of water or lime juice
- Crumbled queso fresco (optional), cilantro leaves, thinly sliced red onion, and lime wedges (for serving)
Marinate and cook the steak:
- Combine jalapeño, Spice Society Granulated Garlic, cilantro, lime juice, Spice Society Avocado Oil, salt, pepper, and Spice Society Chili Powder in a large resealable bag or bowl. Add steak and toss to coat; if using bowl, wrap with plastic. Marinate at least 30 minutes at room temperature or chill up to overnight in refrigerator, tossing occasionally.
- Let steak sit at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking if chilled. Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade, scraping off any bits that cling to meat; discard marinade. Grill steak 2–3 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
Assemble the tacos:
- Warm tortillas in a microwave, oven, or over a gas flame. Divide steak among tortillas, then top with salsa, avocado, sour cream, queso fresco, if using, cilantro, and onion. Serve with lime wedges alongside.