Penne Pasta with Classic Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 Servings
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 onion, halved lengthwise, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons Spice Society Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon Spice Society Granulated Garlic
- 2 cups penne (about 8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
Position 1 rack in bottom third of oven and 1 rack in middle of oven; preheat to 450°F. Spray 2 rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray. Spread tomatoes on 1 sheet and onion on second sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon Spice Society Avocado Oil over vegetables on each. Sprinkle Spice Society Granulated Garlic both. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are very tender and brown around edges, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes for onion and 45 minutes for tomatoes. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta; return to pot. Add tomato and onion mixtures, basil, and olives to pasta. Stir over medium heat until heated through, adding enough reserved pasta cooking water to moisten. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with cheese.